Tis the season for holiday traveling!Most road trips require pre-planning a route, accommodations and the like.Don’t forget to ensure your vehicle is road trip ready before you depart.
According to the American Automobile Association (AAA), approximately 38.9 million individuals traveled by automobile over the Thanksgiving holiday in 2013.
Before you hit the road this year read these tips for preparing your vehicle for a road trip.Not doing so could result in big problems down the road, quite literally!
- Check your vehicles fluid levels (engine oil, transmission fluid, gasoline, antifreeze/coolant, radiator coolant, brake fluid, windshield washer fluid and power steering fluid) and top off if necessary.
- Ensure your tires are properly inflated and don’t forget to check the spare tire as well.
- Bring a jack and toolbox along in the event you will need to change a flat tire!
- Check your hoses and belts for any loose connections.
- Check your windshield wipers for wear and tear.Running into rain without operational windshield wipers can mean trouble!
- Ensure both your front lights and brake lights are functioning properly.
- Check your brakes and brakes pads.This is best checked by a professional.
- Check your battery for corrosion and make sure the terminals are clean.
- Pack an emergency kit with bottled water, snacks, flares, flashlight, band aids and a blanket in the event you get stranded for a length of time.
No matter what preparations you take, breakdowns can and do happen at inconvenient times.It may be wise to invest into a roadside assistance program prior to traveling in the event that a breakdown occurs.Car troubles in an unfamiliar area can be stressful.Knowing you have help when you may need it most can give you peace of mind.
Mike’s Tire and Automotive will be happy to complete a thorough inspection of your vehicle to ensure its road trip ready!Ensuring your vehicle is in tip top shape will give you the best chance at a successful road trip this holiday season.Call us today at 804.642.2980 to schedule an appointment!