Fun car facts! Who knew?
Did you know? We love a good DID YOU KNOW. And that’s why we’re pleased to present these top 20 interesting facts about cars that we bet you didn’t know!
For as much time as people spend in their cars (see #9) and how personally attached people tend to get (how long did it take you to name your car?), you may be surprised at the interesting things people don’t know about cars.
- 1.There are approximately 300 million cars on the road in America, and one billion in use on Earth.
- 2.When you add a teenager to your car insurance policy, the average cost goes up 156 percent.
- 3.NASCAR cars get about 4.5 miles per gallon.
- 4.Semi trucks get an estimated 6.5 miles per gallon diesel.
- 5.The “new car smell” is composed of over 50 volatile organic compounds.
- 6.It would take less than 6 months to get to the moon by car at 60 miles per hour.
- 7.The average car has 30,000 parts.
- 8.75 percent of cars that Rolls Royce has ever produced are still on the road today.
- 9.The average American spends about 38 hours a year stuck in traffic.
- 10.There are more cars than people in Los Angeles.
- 11.The inventor of cruise control was blind.
- 12.The dashboard was originally a piece of wood attached to the front of a horse-drawn carriage that prevented mud from splattering on the carriage driver.
- 13.Holding a remote car key fob to your head or armpit doubles its range because the human skull acts like an amplifier.
- 14.Keeping a full tank of gas helps to keep your car healthy.
- 15.19 people can be crammed into a smart car.
- 16.Steve Jobs’ car never had a license plate due to a loophole in Californian state law.
- 17.90 percent of drivers sing behind the wheel of a car.
- 18.60 million cars are produced in a single year.
- 19.Toyota is the world’s largest car manufacturer and produces 13,000 cars per day, where Ferrari only produces a maximum of 14 cars per day.
- 20.Mr. Allen Swift of Springfield, Ma. Drove his 1928 Rolls Royce Roadster for 82 years, up until his death.